Adapted from Buzzfeed Tasty’s 36-hour chocolate chip cookie recipe, found here! However, I found these cookie sizes to be really enormous. The recipe batch should yield 24 of the size cookies I am sharing in my photos. Trust me, one cookie is plenty rich for a serving.
I made a 1/2 batch of sugar free versions alongside a 1/2 batch regular version. Feel free to halve the recipe for a smaller batch – any smaller and you’d have to divide up an egg. The sugar free toffee was quite runny for me coming off the stove, but still got crisp and brittle in the freezer. However, they melted in the oven heat pretty quickly and broke through the cookie dough. I have modified the toffee recipe below from what I originally tried, with the hopes of it being more stable in heat. Be sure to read all my notes, as this is still a work in progress!
LC Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
The baking temperature is very different from the original recipe! This is very important. If the temperature is too high, the cookies and toffee will liquefy and result in burnt edges and spongy texture. Nobody wants that. I had a lot of trouble finding the temperature that resulted in the rippled texture and crisp outer, and am still experimenting. I recommend baking one cookie at a time until you get the result you like – these are very sensitive cookies!
Fully cooling will allow the flavor and texture to reach maximum potential. I have nibbled the cookies while warm and it’s not as good. You want to allow the sweeteners to re-crystallize and provide that crunch and chew. Allulose especially retains moisture and stickiness.
- Toffee Ingredients:
- 6 Tbsp Butter – Unsalted
- 1/2 cup Isomalt
- 1/3 cup Allulose
- 1/2 cup Erythritol
- 1 tsp molasses
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- Cookie Dough Ingredients:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1.5 cups Allulose
- 1 cup Erythritol
- 6 drops stevia (optional)
- 1 tsp molasses
- 2 tsp Instant Espresso Powder
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Vanilla paste or extract
- 6 oz sugar free chocolate bar
- 2.25 cups (approx 300g) SSB Low Carb Wheat Flour Blend
- Make the Toffee: Line a small baking tray with parchment paper. Put all toffee ingredients in a saucepan. Heat over medium, stirring constantly, until bubbling and melted. Cook to about 300F. Pour into prepared pan and freeze.
- Prepare the Browned Butter: Add 1 cup butter to clean saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the butter turns dark brown and smells nutty. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the sweeteners, molasses, espresso powder, salt, and baking soda. The stevia drops are meant to offset some bitterness from carbalose, but are not necessary.
- Pour the brown butter into the sweetener mixture and mix until combined. Don’t worry if it looks separated.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla. Pour into the sweetener and butter mixture and whisk until glossy and smooth. Add the flour and fold with a rubber spatula to incorporate until the dough has no visible flour streaks.
- Remove toffee from freezer and smash it up inside a freezer bag. Use a knife to roughly chop the chocolate bar.
- Fold the crushed toffee and chopped chocolate into the dough until evenly distributed.
- Wearing gloves, form balls about the size of a lime and place on a baking tray. Adjust sizing until you have 24 balls. Cover with plastic and chill for at least 36 hours, with a corner ventilated. You read it right!
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 275°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat. Space dough balls at least 2 inches apart. Pre-flatten the balls just slightly to encourage spreading.
- Bake cookies 18-20 minutes or until the centers are just set. Remove from oven, sprinkle with flake salt, and allow to fully cool.
I have entered the nutritional information into MyFitnessPal here. If you want to add it to your diary, search for “Sans Sucre Bakerie LC Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies”.
One thought on “LC Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies”
I send you kisses and hugs. I can’t wait to get my carbalose in so I can try these. I will send you pics after I try! Thank you so much