Do you know about Levain Bakery in NYC? There is usually a line snaking around the block and a heavenly vanilla/chocolate scent in the air. Their cookies are a little different from your typical bakery cookie. Instead of being flat discs, they are tall mounds of melty goodness, chock full of mixins. These thicker cookies help ensure you will get a soft & chewy center. This recipe is very flexible – you can increase or decrease your mixins to fit your macronutrient targets. Bonus points if you make your own chocolate from scratch!
My recipe is adapted from this over at Modern Honey: https://www.modernhoney.com/levain-bakery-chocolate-chip-crush-cookies/
Low Carb Levain-style Chocolate Chip Cookies
The cookies must be baked as ~11 HUGE balls in order to get the chewy centers. Each cookie is 2 servings.
- .75 c unsalted butter
- 1.75 c allulose or other granular sweetener
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- 3 c Carbquik baking mix
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 bars Lily’s chocolate of choice, chopped
- 1 c macadamia nuts or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cream together butter, sweetener, molasses. Incorporate eggs one at a time.
- Stir in dry ingredients until well incorporated. Fold in chocolate and nuts.
- Shape into 11 large balls and evenly space on a lined cookie sheet. Chill about 15 minutes.
- Bake about 12 minutes. Remove and allow to set for 15 minutes before eating.